- Joe's Family moved to the Thorp, Wisconsin area in 1947.
- He enlisted in the United States Army in 1954 and was stationed in Germany before receiving his discharge in 1956.
- After their marriage, Joe and Gen returned to the family farm in the Town of Reseburg, rural Thorp, Wisconsin. Joe continued to operate the farm until 1983 when he sold the cows to his son Mike.
- Joe was a member of St. Bernard-St. Hedwig Catholic Church, the Knights of Columbus Queen of Peace Council #4634, Thorp American Legion Post #118, Thorp Area Fire and Ambulance Board, and served on the Town of Reseburg Board from 1980 to 1987.
- Joe enjoyed going to the hunting shack with his buddies, snowmobiling, and playing cards.